is xorg.conf still needed

SL Baur steve at xemacs.org
Wed Apr 30 04:41:08 UTC 2008

On 4/29/08, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 12:52 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>  > I've been running my system for the past week without an xorg.conf file
>  > and it seems to work well

>  > I'm pretty sure that from comments made either on this list or
>  > fedora-test that we are moving in a direction where the norm will be
>  > that no xorg.conf file is needed and therefor won't be created.

A big congratulations from me to everyone who has worked on this on how far
things have come.  X11 server configuration has always been the worst part
of setting up new Unix boxes and that's very close to being fixed now.

> This is a very strong goal for Fedora 10, at least for me.  There are a
>  couple of outstanding things that are going to have to be taken care of:
>  *) Getting the X keyboard layout set based on /etc/sysconfig/keyboard

Has loadkeys been fixed to support Super and Hyper modifier keys from
the console?  The X11 setup I got from the Fedora 9 preview had everything
basically correct except for the mislabeled big key to the left of the "A" key.
The other issues (a Lenovo T60 is supposed to be able to handle 1400x1050
resolution, but I'm not sure why it doesn't work and getting the fglrx driver to
work) are separate.

>  *) Need to be able to pass arbitrary options for input devices (eg, all
>  the stuff needed for wacom config)
>  *) Profit :-)
>
>  And there's some ideas on how to deal with both problems, there just
>  wasn't time left for Fedora 9.
>

>  > I'm having discussions with someone about this at the moment and would
>  > appreciate some clarification on where things are head so that this can
>  > be addressed at their end.[1]

With all the stupid-key rich Microsoft oriented keyboards in use now, it would
be really nice to have one of the Alt keys produce Alt (the other
Meta) and the two
Microsoft Windows keys produce Super and Hyper by default (and have an easy
knob to tune to put the Ctrl key back in the right place).

I need to see how this works with current Japanese input, but I've had
difficulty
locating Open Wnn for installation to test it.

-sb