Monodevelop and video card recommedations

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Apr 30 16:33:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 09:18:42 +0100,
  Paul <paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote:

> I've spotted at 128Mb ATi Radeon 9250 on eBay for about 20 UKP. Any
> comments on if it works fine in Rawhide?

I have a 256MB 9200 which should be close enough to compare. The card itself
is fine, but when combined with an LCD monitor that doesn't do EDID (new ones
will but mine is pretty old) there is a problem. The current ATI driver
in this case treats a monitor connected to the DVI port that doesn't do EDID
as though there isn't a monitor detected (even though it knows there is one
connected) and then the driver falls back to outputting the video signal to
the VGA port which isn't very useful. Arlie doesn't appear to consider this
a high priority problem since in some sense the monitor is broken. I have
a work around patch (a hack that isn't suitable for general use) for one of
he recent drivers (the -5 version). At some point I may try to figure out
a more correct fix, but I don't understand the driver well enough to figure
it out right now, and I have higher priority stuff to do as well. If you
are using a CRT, a newer LCD monitor, or willing to use the VGA port to drive
even an old LCD monitor, you should be OK.