RFC: Firefox general.autoScroll to true

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 18:45:20 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 20:02 +0200, Mark wrote:
> First: Touchpad is for notebooks! fedora is used on notebooks, yes,
> but also on other pc's that don't have a touchpad (and i bet that is
> the majority).

Aah, sorry, I got carried away :-D

> Second: I was afraid it was gonna go this way.. i feel like a software
> application that is made for multiple osses should work the __same__
> on all those osses. I have no clue why firefox finds it "wise" to do
> other default settings on windows then on linux or mac but it sounds
> stupid to me. And because the firefox you download from windows is
> from mozilla itself (not from the dirstibution which would be MS). So
> there is the version of firefox with the true default settings from
> mozilla and i aim to bet those settings the same on __all__
> distributions!

Most of the people use one OS/distribution. And they don't certainly
want one app to behave totally different than another. It has much
higher priority than inter-OS sameness. If you download firefox for
linux from mozilla you'll get different firefox than if you download
firefox from mozilla for windows. That's a good thing. Period.

I use Gnome in Fedora and I want all applications I use to behave and
look similar. It's not the highest priority for choosing an application,
but how does that application looks/behave in other environment does not
matter to me at all. And most people are like that, only they use
different environment than me (KDE in Fedora, some DM in other distro,
Mac OS X, Windows, ...).

> Third: This one annoys me most. We are talking about the click
> function of the scrollwheel but some people don't seem to know what it
> is or act stupid. Now this is a scrollwheel [1] and stick to it! No
> more crap about the "middle mouse button".
>
> So please go on topipc now and discuss the RFC i made here. It's clear
> and understandable for everyone!
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scroll_wheel

If it's click-able it's *also* a third button. And when clicked it
should act like one. Period.

The "open link present in clipboard on middle-click" seems to me like
quite handy feature (unless you don't know about it) and in linux
environment it's IMHO better suitable for the middle-click action than
autoScroll.

Martin

Martin