RFC: Firefox general.autoScroll to true

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon Aug 4 20:25:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 08:29:14PM +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> 2008/8/4 Bill Crawford <billcrawford1970 at gmail.com>
>
> > 2008/8/2 Mark <markg85 at gmail.com>:
> >
> > > Anyway.. to get back on the topic (again) i still think (even more
> > > than when i started this) that firefox middle click behavior should be
> > > the same in windows and linux. I will fill a bug report about this on
> > > mozilla as well and hope that there replies are mature unlike (almost)
> > > everyone here.
> >
> > Yes, do let us know how people like having the middle click paste the
> > clipboard in Windows ;o)
> >

> From what little ancedotal evidence I can provide, every Windows user I have
> shown or explained the 3rd button paste feature loved it and wanted it on
> Windows.

More anedoctal evidence: at my job, some windows users who access
GNU/Linux and AIX servers via Putty, regularly use "copy on select"
(which Putty provides) and do *love* *it*!

Since Windows doesn't have the concept of pasting the PRIMARY buffer
with the "middle button", Putty uses the right button for it.

There is also another argument against changing this behaviour on
Firefox:

  1. fix consistency for Windows Firefox users
  2. break consistency for all GNU/Linux desktop users

The hipotetical benefit of 1. is far overcome by the concrete disaster
of 2., IMHO.

Rui

--
Hail Eris!
Today is Sweetmorn, the 70th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?