uids for daemons on a spin

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 05:30:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Enrico Scholz
<enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> Without reading whole thread and participating in yet another flame war

Apologies, didn't mean to taunt peoplle into another flamefest --
thanks for your kind reply. I will use a high uid range as the base if
I do use this.

However, it seems that my situation is one where I end up with an
ordering if I try to use your package. Brief description follows

My project - OLPC's School Server - is a Fedora spin that adds a few
packages with custom daemons, provides a "xs-config" package that
makes a mess of /etc (ahem!, applies a custom configuration), and has
a metapackage to pull it all together.

Having stable, predictable uids/gids is *extremely* valuable as we
want maximum consistency between systems -- the target ratio is of a
small sysadmin team (5 to 12) managing thousands of servers. We could
hardcode the uid/gids, but we want to work with Fedora to make our
packages mainstream as much as possible. So we tend to package things
"vanilla" and do our wonky configuration in a separate package.

So I would need to have an "config" package that
 - depends on fedora-usermgmt fedora-usermgmt-shadowutils
 - is guaranteed to install _before_ any other package that depends on
fedora-usermgmt

the "main" xs-config package gets installed late because it overwrites
configurations, and so it depends on everything.

Is there a way to force this early-dependency? In case you are
wondering, this gets installed via anaconda unattended and or via yum
update. I'm wary of anaconda hacks that a yum install / yum update
won't obey.

It's a bit of circular logic. Can I package my own
"fedora-usermgmt-yesjustdoit" version of the -shadowutils with
metadata that makes it win over the "-dontreallydoanything" package?

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions