static uids/gids and (not) using fedora-usermgmt (was: uids for daemons on a spin)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 21:44:35 UTC 2008

2008/8/7 Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net>:
> I would strongly recommend against it. IIRC correctly the tool was
> even banned from EPEL

Thanks for the heads up.

> I think the right way to do this is to see the different needs between
> the general Fedora space and OLPC: Fedora wants to reserve as few as
> possible *static* uids/gids (e.g. officially stamped onto every Fedora
> system) because this resource is rather sparse.

That is ok with me - I was hoping to find a listing of static uids
without grepping cvs manually, aiming to find a safe gap below 500
that OLPC could use for its deployments.

As much as possible I want to have static IDs on OLPC XS deployments
to have max consistency across XSs in the same region. A minor
package-installation-order difference should not lead to different
IDs.

Now, that practice will make OLPC packages unacceptable to Fedora
proper - this is more important to me. However, using fedora-usermgmt
seemed like a way to satisfy both. If it's blackballed from Fedora,
then I'm back to square one.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions