static uids/gids and (not) using fedora-usermgmt

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 23:41:46 UTC 2008

2008/8/7 Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net>:
> where this is briefly discussed. E.g. maybe OLPC only needs an
> extended setup package (the package's name is indeed "setup") where
> some key uids/gids are set and thus globally the same even if Fedora
> as upstream may be assigning them dynamically.

Ah, that's a trick I had not thought about - an early-install package
that creates a list of accts on preset ids. And if that is
complemented with each packaging creating its accounts if they are
missing (in %pre) as outlined in the wikipage you linked to.

Now, I had read the wikipage before, but not caught the full meaning
of the phrase that mentions "setup" in it -- well placed at the end of
a long paragraph, perhaps my confusion comes from not being a
dedicated enough reader :-)

In-te-res-ting.

Now what I need to learn are tricks to ensure an early install of my
custom setup pkg.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions