ANNOUNCE: rpmgrok - a web-based tool for tracking a full distribution of RPMs

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Aug 7 02:14:01 UTC 2008

David Malcolm wrote, at 08/07/2008 06:26 AM +9:00:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 23:42 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
>> I like the part with the "Errors and warnings from rpmlint". I can
>> imagine that someone that's say an expert on "invalid-desktopfile"
>> issues could now dig into this much easier. Very nice!
> Yes, this is:
> http://publictest7.fedoraproject.org/rpmgrok/rpmlint/invalid-desktopfile
>
> Unfortunately the db doesn't capture the errors from
> desktop-file-validate itself.  I wonder if there's a way to do this.
> IIRC rpmlint doesn't emit this output anywhere.
>
> (fwiw all these tests were done with desktop-file-utils-0.10-7)

Unfortunately I guess your list contains not a few false-positive errors.

For example, I checked fedora-alexandria.desktop with desktop-file-utils-0.10-7
(this is Fedora core 6 desktop-file-utils) and actually I get the error:
$ ./desktop-file-validate /usr/share/applications/fedora-alexandria.desktop
/usr/share/applications/fedora-alexandria.desktop: error: required key "Encoding" not found

However the key "Encoding" is now deprecated and with Fedora 10 desktop-file-utils
(0.15-3.fc10) including Encoding key is warned like:
$ desktop-file-validate ./fedora-alexandria.desktop
./fedora-alexandria.desktop: warning: key "Encoding" in group "Desktop Entry" is deprecated