Proposed new feature: Provers

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Fri Aug 8 18:15:10 UTC 2008

On Friday 08 August 2008 09:30:28 Casey Dahlin wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 August 2008 17:18:21 David A. Wheeler wrote:
> >> I've developed info on a new feature of Fedora 10, aka "Provers":
> >>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Provers
> >> Basically, I and others have packaged some key
> >> provers / solvers / formal methods tools.
> >
> > As I understand it, this is primarily just a collection of new packages
> > being added to Fedora, no? If so, and if you ask me, this really doesn't
> > meet the criteria for a Feature. Its just new packages that are all
> > targeted at a specific area of use.
>
> And what criteria are those? I don't think this is the first feature
> that has been mostly a packaging affair. Last I checked our definition
> of feature was "something worth mentioning in the release notes."

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy/Is_this_a_feature
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy/Definitions

I suppose perhaps this falls under "noteworthy enough to call out in the
release notes", depending on who you ask. I'm still not sold yet.

On Friday 08 August 2008 mumble, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> [...] just saying Fedora has a collection of provers isn't a
> Feature.  But saying, in Fedora 10 we've made an effort to include foo,
> bar, baz important provers for Target Audience so they can find all the
> tools they need to do X Type of Work.  Similarly, "We've done work so
> that foo and bar can import and export the same file format", or other
> work to show how we're making the user experience better would make a
> stronger case for a feature.

Like Toshio suggests here, sell me on the idea. Right now, all I see is a
group of new packages that are similar in nature.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com