peerdns=no, NetworkManager, doesn't work?

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 11:38:57 UTC 2008

Dan Williams wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 22:50 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
>> On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 17:25 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
>> > I have used system-config-network to de-select 'Automatically obtain
>> > dns information from provider' and I see in
>> > /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan0 PEERDNS=no
>> >
>> > But starting NetworkManager, I get in /etc/resolv.conf:
>> > # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
>> >
>> > nameserver 192.168.1.1
>> >

>> > I don't think NetworkManager is respecting the setting (and I can't
>> > seem to find any workaround)
>>
>> It should be; what exact version of the NM RPM?
>
> And could you try the NM that's in updates-testing?  It looks like the
> bits that honor PEERDNS got into 3688, so they just missed 3675 that
> you're probably using.  F9-updates-testing should have the right bits
> for you.
>
> Dan

OK: rpm -q NetworkManager
NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.11.svn3846.fc9.x86_64

I put
peerdns=no in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0.

I also put there:
DNS1=208.67.222.222
DNS2=208.67.220.220

But these seem to get ignored.

I put
prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
in /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf

This seems to have worked:
--- /etc/resolv.conf ---
# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

domain md.hnsnet

search md.hnsnet

nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 139.85.52.104
nameserver 139.85.52.102

# NOTE: the glibc resolver does not support more than 3 nameservers.
# The nameservers listed below may not be recognized.
nameserver 139.85.87.105
nameserver 139.85.176.102
-----------------

Now I want to use dnsmasq.

Only 1 more problem.  It seems libvirtd was started (for some reason, I don't know what it's for), and was running it's own dnsmasq, so the port was in use.  After
chkconfig libvirtd off
chkconfig dnsmasq on

And adding to /etc/dnsmasq.conf:
resolv-file=/etc/resolv-opendns.conf

Creating /etc/resolv-opendns.conf:
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

And finally, adding my own local server entries to /etc/dnsmasq.conf:
server=/hns.com/139.85.52.104
server=/hns.com/139.85.52.102
... etc

Finally, I think I got things the way I want (unless I actually needed libvirtd to do something?)