Okey, I'll try to tell the history.
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:14 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta gmail com>
Let me state it a little more firmly... we need to know what the
actual legal bar to meet is. If having openoffice.org available at
install time..for anyone in Brazil is a problem..then we'll have to
stop distributing the normal dvd in Brazil... it very well may turn
out that nothing short of that will suffice.
If the language specific hacks to hide OpenOffice.org for just pt_BR
users at install time do not meet the legal requirement...then we
shouldn't waste time with the hacks in comps. It doesn't matter if it
seems reasonable to me or to you to do language specific changes
because it will work for "most" people..the trademark law which you
are trying to work around may not see it as reasonable and that is
what matters. Having a technical solution which works for the vast
majority of the people in Brazil...may not be enough. We may need to
find a solution which is guaranteed to meet the legal requirement no
matter how a user in Brazil interacts with the install media.
What does the law in Brazil need us to do? We must have an
understanding as to what the actual legal bar to meet is and put
resources in place to meet that requirement. If that means a special
Brazilian install media..which doesn't include openoffice.org branded
binaries at all..then we need to know so we can deal with that. and
not pretend otherwise.
Here in Brazil until 2004 we had a project called OpenOffice.org.br
. Something like our "Projeto Fedora Brasil", however we have started to have problems with a Brazilian trademark called "Open Office". In order to avoid them, the Brazilians OpenOffice.org users decided to create a NGO (Non-Governmental Organization), called BrOffice.org, to manager the OO.org instance in Brazil. That NGO is recognized as the *official* instance of OpenOffice.org for Brazil. If you can use a translator you can find more information here: http://broffice.org/sobre
The differences between OO.org and BrO.org are cosmetics. We just need to change the initial splash, any occurrence of "OpenOffice.org" to "BrOffice.org" in the source code and also the executable names.
Debian project has a package that do exactly this and we did the same thing for Fedora, but it seems not be the better way to solve this problem as we can see in the bug report comments.
Fortunately Caolan McNamara told us that this problem could be fixed by upstream in 3.0.0 version. So, now we have an OO.org subpackage called broffice.org
Yes, this issue is related for the use of OO.org in Brazil (not with thw language pt_BR), however pt_BR is spoken only in Brazil(BR). So, I don't think it is a bag idea to associate the broffice.org
packages with the pt_BR language selection at the install time, when a suite office is selected.
BTW, I'm not a packager, so I don't know now really it could be done.
Diego Búrigo Zacarão
Linux User #402589
USE SOFTWARE LIVRE