libgweather 50Mb??

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Sun Aug 17 08:49:37 UTC 2008

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
>
>>> IIRC it gets dragged in too if you want just NetworkManager-gnome...
>> Heh. Yeah, it does... because NetworkManager-gnome has a dependency on
>> gnome-panel (I'd say due to the NetworkManager applet), which then pulls
>> in libgweather (suspecting the clock applet for this)...
>
> This is a killer space-wise for non-desktop(gnome) spins.  If I find some time over the next week or so, I'll take a closer look at ways to address this.
>
> -- Rex

The bug report Jim filed states that the issue is now "resolved".
Somebody mentioned there that with Gnome 2.23, there'd be a
Locations.XX.xml file for each language... don't know if this helps
much, but it seems to be an improvement (just the question when this
update is going to hit Fedora - 2.24 should afaik out by the end of
September). But definitely agreed! That's kind of... carzy for non-gnome
spins, which just include NetworkManager-gnome. I also came across this
PersonalCopy-Lite-patches package... fortunately, it's the lite version
- it has a size of 44 MB and is a dependency of SDL_Mixer. Well, maybe
not this right stuff for this thread, but still...

--Sebastian