mono and silverlight

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 20:11:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:09:11 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> If the code is actually inside mono 2.0, we need to strip it out of the tarball.
>> If this is just an extension, we can just disable it. Moonlight/Silverlight are
>> forbidden items in Fedora.
>
>./configure --help says
>
>--with-moonlight=yes,no If you want to build the Moonlight 2.1
>assemblies
>
>A quick look through the codebase doesn't show anything much though...

>From the Moonlight INSTALL file:

Moonlight: Silverlight 2.0 API support
======================================

	If you want to support the Silverlight 2.0 API (managed
	support, this includes the Mono runtime and .NET APIs to run
	apps) you will need in addition to:

		* Install Mono from SVN (you need both the mono and
	  	  mcs modules).

		  Use the --with-moonlight=yes option to configure

>From looking through the mono configure file it looks like the
--with-moonlight option just adds the required support to mono that
Moonlight needs to run (Silverlight 2 requires a .NET runtime,
Silverlight 1 was entirely independent of a .NET runtime).

So it appears all that is needed to keep Moonlight out of Fedora is to
not package the Moonlight tarball which is a separate download.