GNUstep filesystem layout discussion

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Aug 24 07:46:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 10:26:06PM +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm <at> ATrpms.net> writes:
> > Please note that the unflattened layout is not just for different
> > archs, but even different compilers/libcombos. In a flattened world
> > one can only support one combo which for example will make
> > opengroupware conflict with other GNUstep apps.
>
> Yuck! IMHO the answer there is the same as for other packages which think they
> are a distro: they need to be fixed to work with the system libraries instead
> (or the system libraries fixed to work with the packages, if that's where the
> problem lies).

I agree, but the library combo at GNUstep is a different beast, it
doesn't have to do with different system libraries and gnustep-make
does not ship any private libraries. The issue is whether gnustep-make
will allow one and only one Objective-C runtime/ foundation
library/graphical interface tuple (flattened), or allow for any
sensible combination.

Objective-C runtime is probably just gcc. For the graphical interface
there is also more or less one choice in the Linux world. But for the
foundation libraries there are several choices, most prominently
gnustep-base and libFoundation in Linux space, and while most GNUstep
owned apps use the in-house gnustep-base lib, some other prominent
ones like opengroupware.org use libFoundation.

So we do need to allow for the choice at runtime instead of
build-time, e.g. allow for non-flattened installs of gnustep-make.

I hope this makes the issues a bit clearer. IMHO we need to start with
gnustep-make's FHS and non-flattened layout and fix it where it still
needs fixing (gnustep-make FHS layout is very young and one could say
that we are shaking out the bugs and when we are finished hopefully
upstream will be glad to accept any patch we will have made to the FHS
mode layout of gnustep-make).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net