Alsa problem

Michel Salim michel.sylvan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 01:54:01 UTC 2008

2008/8/29 Paul <paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to track down a problem which seems to be Alsa related. I
> have a really small C# test piece which just plays a wav file via
> System.Media.PlaySound. Code compiles and it works under Win32. Under
> rawhide, nada sound at all.
>
> When I run alsamixergui, it looks like alsa is trying to use pulseaudio
> rather than my Audigy card and there is no way to change this via
> alsamixergui.
>
> I've noticed similar problems with alsa when using mplayer. Is there a
> way to get alsa to use my Audigy card correctly?

Put a custom ~/.asoundrc that overrides the settings in
/etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf . Why should the test code not work with
pulseaudio, though? It should be transparent to ALSA applications
(there are some compatibility issues due to the unexpected way some
applications use ALSA, so if this is one of those cases, you might
want to file a bug against pulseaudio)

Regards,

--
Michel Salim