PackageKit, localisation and koji

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Sat Feb 2 16:11:01 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 16:01 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot <at> laposte.net> writes:
> > I soo just wish specspo was buried and translations integrated in
> > packages where they belong
>
> There's no way huge packages like openoffice.org, kdebase-workspace and the
> like will get rebuilt each time someone translates the summary or description,
> or adjusts the translation.
>
> Moreover, maintainers have better things to do than committing hundreds of
> 1-line patches touching those translations. Most likely I'd filter all bug
> reports matching "New .* translation for .* Summary and Description" or
> equivalent straight to /dev/null.

While I agree that translations are probably better off outside the
spec, this argument doesn't really hold any water. We don't release a
new tarball anytime someone changes a translation in a library either.
And translators do just fine maintaining the translations on their on in
the repository without bothering the code maintainers about committing
patches. I don't see why something similar would not be possible for
spec file translation.