yum and yum-updatesd in Rawhide

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 20:46:44 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 23:42:05 -0800
> Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the only good solution to that is to have two groupremoves...
>> one that removes the *unique group members* and one that removes the
>> *entire group*.  I cannot think of any reason there would be the need
>> for additional interpretations of groupremove.
>
> yum groupremove --all or --force
>
> groupremove by default removes entities that are only found in said
> group and not in other groups or required by things in other groups.
> Least surprise.  --all or --force will remove all entities in said
> group regardless of overlapping members.

I think that would be a good change to make, and would certainly be a better
safeguard for users only working in an interface to yum who might not understand
groups overlap at all.

A new user would expect that when they install a group, whatever got added will
be what goes away when they remove the group.  The group install and group
remove are reasonably expected to be inverses.  An additional 'yeah I want to
nuke it' flag would be great for this.