yum and yum-updatesd in Rawhide

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Feb 6 09:23:59 UTC 2008

Le Mer 6 février 2008 07:02, Andrew Farris a écrit :

> So achieving two understandings of groupremove is not then possible
> without more
> metadata, because it is ambiguous whether a group is installed
> intentionally or
> happens to be 'installed' incidentally.  Thank you for pointing out
> the root
> issue with making it happen.

If you want a user-meaningful groupremove, you need to track package
"origin"  (was its install explicitely required by the user, was it
installed through a specific group install, was it installed as part
of a multi-group install, what was its repo origin, etc)

Then you can implement all sort of smart groupremove strategies in yum
plugins (taking into account stuff like protectbase, etc), with one
hopefully emerging in a few years as the right heuristic to move into
yum itself.

At this stage I don't think we have enough data to judge the right
user-friendly strategy.

--
Nicolas Mailhot