yum and yum-updatesd in Rawhide

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 6 09:51:12 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Mer 6 février 2008 07:02, Andrew Farris a écrit :
>
>> So achieving two understandings of groupremove is not then possible
>> without more
>> metadata, because it is ambiguous whether a group is installed
>> intentionally or
>> happens to be 'installed' incidentally.  Thank you for pointing out
>> the root
>> issue with making it happen.
>
> If you want a user-meaningful groupremove, you need to track package
> "origin"  (was its install explicitely required by the user, was it
> installed through a specific group install, was it installed as part
> of a multi-group install, what was its repo origin, etc)
>
> Then you can implement all sort of smart groupremove strategies in yum
> plugins (taking into account stuff like protectbase, etc), with one
> hopefully emerging in a few years as the right heuristic to move into
> yum itself.
>
> At this stage I don't think we have enough data to judge the right
> user-friendly strategy.

It is right that extra information is needed to write plugin removing
groups in another way than the current one.

"user-meaningful" & "user-friendly" is very hard to define, users have
different looks on what is "user-meaningful" and "user-friendly".

You cant design software to adapt to how a user thinks it should do.

Tim