to autodownload or not to autodownload

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Feb 8 18:58:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 20:01:23 +0100
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek" <jakub.rusinek at gmail.com> wrote:

> O rly? Codeina offers commercial codecs, for which we should pay,
> while Fedora should ship "best free and open source software".
>
> It's hypocritical...

If you ran the app, you would have seen ( well except for a very bad
bug in F8 release :/  ):

Proprietary and free formats

Fedora has the mission of always being freely re-distributable; this means you are free to give your copy of Fedora to anyone else.

Unfortunately, that means that we cannot ship support for certain multimedia codecs, as they require patent licenses before you can view or play media that use them. Imagine if you had to pay a license fee before reading your e-mail, or viewing a picture on the web. This is why Fedora supports free formats, such as Ogg Vorbis and Theora.

However, there are companies and communities that do offer support for certain codecs under Fedora. If you would like to install support, please proceed to see the available options.

You are then linked to: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CodecBuddy

--
Jesse Keating