installation workflow issues

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Feb 9 04:16:47 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 01:52 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2008 1:47 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 8, 2008 3:31 PM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm willing to contribute in one way I can and that is testing
> > > workflows. I have found quite a few workflow dead ends while installing
> > > latest Fedora 9 Alpha.
> >
> > I'm really not sure what you mean here.   I'm incapable of
> > comprehending what a deadend in the installer actually means.. since
> > once you've got it installed you are free to do a lot of customization
> > on everything above filesystem layout.
> >
> > -jef
>
> Dead end is probably wrong word here - bottleneck is probably a better one.
> If certain type of user comes to an option that he doesn't understand,
> installed doesn't explain in clear way what each choice does (in non
> geekish tongue) and default options would take him in wrong direction
> - that is what I mean by "bottleneck" or "dead end". Is it any clearer
> now?

I think this is what documentation is for.  In a preferred world, the UI
would be intuitive and all that.  However, installing an OS is not
trivial, and the installer cannot hide all the complexity.

For when it is too complex, we hope people turn to the documentation:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.