to autodownload or not to autodownload

Jaroslaw Gorny jaroslav at aster.pl
Sun Feb 10 13:31:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:58:54 -0500
Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 20:01:23 +0100
> "Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek" <jakub.rusinek at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > O rly? Codeina offers commercial codecs, for which we should pay,
> > while Fedora should ship "best free and open source software".
> >
> > It's hypocritical...
>
> If you ran the app, you would have seen ( well except for a very bad
> bug in F8 release :/  ):
>
> Proprietary and free formats

(...)

> You are then linked to: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CodecBuddy

OK. But why are we advertising a commercial company?

I understand that it is illegal from the US POV to link non-us users
directly to third party repos containing codecs. Instead of this, the
page contains only:
"If you are in a location where these patents do not apply, you may
have other options as well."
And users have to find out by themselves what these options are ;)

So why don't we just do the same with US users? Something like:
"If you are in a location where these patents apply (eg. US), there are
companies that provide legal software to play such formats"
would be enough, I think.

regards,

--
jarek