to autodownload or not to autodownload

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Sun Feb 10 14:40:49 UTC 2008

On 02/10/2008 08:31 AM, Jaroslaw Gorny wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:58:54 -0500
> Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 20:01:23 +0100
>> "Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek" <jakub.rusinek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> O rly? Codeina offers commercial codecs, for which we should pay,
>>> while Fedora should ship "best free and open source software".
>>>
>>> It's hypocritical...
>> If you ran the app, you would have seen ( well except for a very bad
>> bug in F8 release :/  ):
>>
>> Proprietary and free formats
>>
> (...)
>> You are then linked to: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CodecBuddy
>>

> OK. But why are we advertising a commercial company?

If users want to get non-free items, I would MUCH rather usher them to
the legal way to do so versus the illegal way.  Fluendo is currently the
only legal way we can offer for the US and some other countries.

A different way to phrase the question is: why is nobody else providing
a different legal way for users?  We would gladly point to multiple ways
to get the codecs and let the user decide which one to download from.