to autodownload or not to autodownload

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Feb 10 19:52:01 UTC 2008

Christopher Aillon wrote:
> On 02/10/2008 08:31 AM, Jaroslaw Gorny wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:58:54 -0500
>> Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> If you ran the app, you would have seen ( well except for a very bad
>>> bug in F8 release :/  ):
>>>
>>> Proprietary and free formats
>>>
>> (...)
>>> You are then linked to: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CodecBuddy
>>>

>> OK. But why are we advertising a commercial company?
>

> If users want to get non-free items, I would MUCH rather usher them to
> the legal way to do so versus the illegal way.  Fluendo is currently the
> only legal way we can offer for the US and some other countries.

The same argument could be used for autodownloader, if someone wants to play
quake, I much rather have they use autodl to download a legal version then use
some pirated full version.

I really must say I don't understand how people can have an issue with
autodownloader and at the same time defend codina. To me that is nothing shirt
of hypocritical.

Regards,

Hans