a plan for updates after end of life

Arjan van de Ven arjan at infradead.org
Sun Feb 10 19:51:45 UTC 2008

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 11:04:22 +0100
Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I thought about a plan regarding Updates After End of Life (UAEL,
> temporary name for the project). I think that first we should make
> sure that all the packages in the comps groups 'Core' and 'Base' that
> are not optional + kernel have a maintainer for that branch. Then we
> would automatically generate a list of all the packages that have
> UAEL branches and advertise UAEL to be that set of packages, and
> nothing more.
>
> The text for UAEL could be like

> Does this looks like a plan acceptable by the Fedora lead?
>
> Opinions, comments?

My first impression is... "ok so there's now a formal process, and the result is that
there is no branch ever that uses this". The chances of finding sufficient capable volunteers
for even the base package set is... near zero. I stress "capable" here, and with this I mean
people who both have the time and the skill to track, evaluate and backport security fixes.
That is a non-trivial amount of time and skill *for each package*. Most people with these skills
don't themselves use these older distros -> they lose interest fast.
Or in other words; I'm sure there is demand for this sort of thing, I just don't think there's
sufficient volunteer supply...

If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan at linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org