a plan for updates after end of life

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 18:07:47 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 07:50:29PM -0300, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
>>> Yes. If there is not enough people to do the work anymore.
>> If I can't reasonably trust the continuity of the branch, it makes it a lot
>> less useless to me.
>
> One cannot reasonably trust a volunteer based project. I am just writing
> down that plain fact.
>
> A time span could be set up, but it doesn't make sense. Why stop when
> there are still maintainers? How to continue when there aren't enough
> maintainers? Transparently using packages when there is somebody
> maintaining them seems the best to me.

Looks like a real-world case is here already with the publication of the
vm_splice bug that would be outstanding in at least FC6.  That's
probably a bad thing for users of the FC6 based k12ltsp version since
the corresponding new version is still in the planning stages and they
would mostly be running in a hostile multiuser environment.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com