pulseaudio causing crashing of applications

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 22:12:39 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2008 9:33 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does this mean you should always use Xnest, NX client, vnc, ssh, etc,
>> instead of VTs to get login sessions that don't accidentally grab
>> unrelated hardware ownership?  That seems backwards if what you really
>> want is an audio player as a server that isn't tied to a particular
>> login session.
>

> As we get more familiar with making HAL/CK policy edits, these sorts
> of questions will lose meaning.  HAL/CK policies can and will be
> customized away from the default set of rules written with a shared
> desktop in mind.  There's no technical reason that a music server
> daemon package for example couldn't drop in new policy that changed
> the behavior here.  We just have to understand how to write that
> policy file and then agree that's the sort of thing we want server
> packages to do on install.

I'm not convinced that anyone can deduce the behavior I want from the
packages that are installed.   Or even that I'd know for sure myself
ahead of time in all cases but I have a hard time imagining a case where
I'd want access cut off to an existing, running session just because
someone else might want to check their email on a different account and
they do it from a VT instead of Xnest.  Is it possible to make the rules
easy to manage locally - and can you have a first-served wins rule?

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com