ISO 216 vs U.S. paper Another "Mars Climate Orbiter" in the horizon

Johann B. Gudmundsson johannbg at hi.is
Thu Feb 14 22:54:30 UTC 2008

Consistency in applications that support printing
and from which file or from they get/set their default printer paper size

Did a little research and notice this...

Note this is a clean system install running FC-8 updated with
updates-testing.
I've done no printer configuration what so ever..

Gedit is set to A4 <--- ISO 216
Gthumb is set to A4 <--- ISO 216
Gimp is set to Letter <--- U.S. paper
Firefox is set to Letter <--- U.S. paper
Thunderbird is set to Letter <--- U.S. paper
Open office defaults to Letter <--- U.S. paper

[johannbg at localhost ~]$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

[johannbg at localhost ~]$ locale -ck LC_PAPER
LC_PAPER
height=279
width=216
paper-codeset="UTF-8"

As Tim Waugh pointed me out today when I filed an RFE for an idea I had
regarding S-C-P and changing the default paper size..
( see Bug 432802 )

"a) a feature request for CUPS to key off the system LC_PAPER locale setting
specifically, rather than the LC_MESSAGES setting as it currently does."

I would say any application that support printing and uses LC_MESSAGES.

If and only if developers can agree on that LC_PAPER is where
the application that support printing will get their default paper size
from...

"
b) a configuration tool to allow LC_PAPER to be set in /etc/sysconfig/i18n"

I strongly suggest that tool will be S-C-P but that tool cant be
developed until
developer can agree on where to get the default settings.

Best regards.
                   Johann B.