How important are ISO standards to Fedora?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Feb 15 14:37:56 UTC 2008

Le mardi 12 février 2008 à 21:35 -0900, Jeff Spaleta a écrit :
> On Feb 12, 2008 9:20 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 12, 2008 9:05 PM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> > > Wouldn't it be more correct for Fedora to default to the ISO standard
> > > for paper (A4, etc) than to the US standard for paper (letter, etc)?
> >
> > Fedora's default papersize setting... where?
>
> Take a close look at the file cupshelpers.py
>
> in system-config-printer
>
> Letter is selected by default only for a small number of specific
> locales.  What more do you want? Blood?

Actually most users whose print jobs has been repeatedly messed up by
something silentrly defaulting to letter would answer yes

> If you are going to argue that we should make A4 the default, even for
> en_US and en_CA...

en_CA no, en_US yes. That's the price to pay for tolerating badly
localised software that causes large parts of the world (where paper
default is A4) use en_US locale. You can't have it both ways: either
en_US is just another locale, software defaults to something
else (en_intl or whatever), and it uses USA paper size or it's the
default world locale and default world paper size should be used.

And don't get me started on decimal separator or date formats.

--
Nicolas Mailhot