Asterisk 1.6 in Fedora

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Wed Feb 20 14:14:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 13:12 -0600, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On 2/19/08, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:50:49 -0900
> > "Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > You could create an initial package, after the isos are pressed and
> > > drop it into updates-testing. Make a moderate fuss about its existance
> > > and drive early adopters/testers to try it and report back in bodhi.
> > > Once your satisfied you can push it to updates-released.
> >
> > Depending on various hand-wavy factors, doing that can make users
> > annoyed.  Maybe Jeffery is wanting to avoid upgrading people in a
> > stable release.
>
> Yeah, I basically have set a personal policy for the Fedora Asterisk
> packages to avoid upgrading to a new Asterisk major version in a
> stable Fedora release.  New major versions of Asterisk will always be
> introduced into Rawhide. So F7 and F8 will always have 1.4.x.  If F9
> goes GA with 1.4.x it'll stay at 1.4.x.  Heavy users of Asterisk are
> notoriously averse to upgrading - there are still probably a lot
> Asterisk PBXs out there running on 2.4 *kernels* let alone newer
> versions of Asterisk.

We're actually a commercial entity that uses Fedora and the latest
stable releases of software packages. We start testing as soon as beta
of a software hits (don't have the spare cycles to test from alpha).
Prior to Fedora's adopting Asterisk, we got our packages from Axel at
ATRPMS.

I would certainly appreciate a bump up right now of asterisk
(specifically) even if it doesn't go stable before F10 is released (IOW,
in the 6 months after F9 goes stable). If it gets into rawhide now,
there'll be plenty of time to test it.

The more conservative camps would probably be using RHEL/CentOS + EPEL
anyway.

> Many Asterisk PBXs still run Asterisk 1.2
> (which is still being supported by Digium).

Say what you will about what's supported and what's not, but unless
Digium have dedicated developers strictly to 1.2, developers find it
harder and harder to context-switch their brains to an older version the
longer they work on a newer one. There are even some projects with their
developers who won't even help you unless you try the latest version
(not Digium, though).
--

Richi Plana