Incompatible Unison update

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 21:55:49 UTC 2008

Christopher Aillon wrote:
> On 02/21/2008 04:15 PM, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> I've used unison for awhile, and quite frankly this happens all the
>> time.  To handle consistent sync you need to match the versions being
>> used on both sides exactly and keep them there.  I've had it break
>> numerous times changing versions within 'compatible' version ranges.
>> Changing those versions means you have to take what currently exists
>> and assume it is in sync the first time you run the new version.  This
>> is just how things have been going with unison.
>
> For the record, that sounds dumb and a reason to strongly consider rsync
> or something else instead of unison.

Yes, its very broken.  But just using rsync is a complicated situation as well
since the purpose of unison is not just to copy from an authoritative source to
a backup (what rsync does wonderfully) but instead to replicate changes made on
either side to the other side.  Unison will propagate a deletion on either side
to the other one, something rsync would need to be run multiple times (with
swapped source/destinations) to accomplish.. I tried setting that up once but I
just made a mess (it appeared to need 4 runs, one each without delete, then one
each direction with delete, but maybe I'm just not thinking it through enough).