[SPAM] Re: compat package lifetime

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Feb 26 13:42:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:53:40PM +0000, Joe Orton wrote:
> Is there any consensus on the expected lifetime of compat packages?
>
> F8 shipped compat-expat1 to ease upgrades from F7 due to the expat
> library SONAME bump.  I'm wondering whether or not this package should
> be dropped from F9.

It seems to me that it should be up to the packager. When a packager
doesn't want to maintain the package anymore (based on many possible
reasons, like time needed to maintain it, users needs, removal of old
unneeded package...), he orphans it, and it gets deleted the next release
unless someone steps up to take it.

--
Pat