sense of packaging firefox' addons?

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Wed Feb 27 21:31:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 22:26 +0100, Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
> They do not. They can never compare with updatesd, can not cooperate
> with it. I am not aware if they integrate with policykit or
> consolehelper to allow unprivileged user to update, not if they
> integrate with puplet to let him know that he has to update.

Absolutely. All these ad-hoc methods (FF, Eclipse, CPAN, etc.) are a
pain in the .. They never integrate properly with the packaging
system that you know, some of them are bound to be confusing and
buggy.

And please, don't get me started about CPAN -- it's a perfect
example why these language-based we-are-the-world-we-are-all-there-is
schemes (Java included) are stupid.

This are an order of magnitude simpler and more robust if they
integrate as *first class* citizens with the OS packaging system.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.