file dependencies and packages and [blocker] bugs

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 29 22:11:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 22:58 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > Define 'regularly' for the fonts changing locations?
> For me, the problem had been fonts having vanished and fonts having
> changed location _unnoticed_ between FC7 and FC8 (Initial FC8 contained
> broken packages, because of this)
>
> As a consequence of this, I am hard-coding deps on font files. My
> packages now break when fonts vanish/move.

So, it seems to me that the problem package here isn't yours but the
font packages floating around.

> >  Also - If they are
> > changing so often why don't we talk to the font maintainers and get that
> > to stop moving around?
> They changed due to conventions on font installation dirs changed and
> because fonts where dropped due to licensing issues.

They probably shouldn't be changing in the middle of the release. From
one release to the next I can see it but not in between.

> Well, it would be a mistake not check them - These deps are present,
> whether you like it or not.

It's not about not checking them - if we can make it so we don't need
them it helps us out b/c we don't have to download all the extra
metadata.

> > Don't you think we should be able to do something to make this situation
> > better or even rarer?
> I think you are wasting your time on a broken heuristic.

We're fairly open to better heuristics. If you've got one, let me know.

This one works and has been reliable we just need to make sure we don't
unnecessarily force the user to download a lot of data if there is
another way to do it.

-sv