file dependencies and packages and [blocker] bugs

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Feb 29 22:30:55 UTC 2008

Le vendredi 29 février 2008 à 16:18 -0500, seth vidal a écrit :
> On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 20:03 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>

> > Combine this with the fact that fonts change both location and name regulary,
> > and a simple dep on the font providing package wont't do. With these (not
> > pretty) file deps I actually get broken deps reports send to me when this
> > happens. Don't believe me? This is from the sdljava-demo changelog:
>

> Define 'regularly' for the fonts changing locations? Also - If they are
> changing so often why don't we talk to the font maintainers and get that
> to stop moving around?

Because if upstream renames we rename too and since 99% of apps (both
Linux and Windows ones) wouldn't care less about the filename there's no
real case for filename stability.

(and no renames do not happen often but they do happen).

The real solution, of course, is to fix the apps so they use the common
font stack. I'm pretty sure thei' i18n is broken if they use fixed font
filenames BTW.

--
Nicolas Mailhot