Policy proposal for compatibility packages

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Jan 2 18:35:23 UTC 2008

On 02.01.2008 19:11, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:42:59 +0100
> Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>
>> The proposal IMHO tries to solve the problem the wrong way. Having
>> compat-packages in the repo is not the biggest problem -- other apps
>> in Fedora using those compat-packages IMHO is what we should prevent.
> There is a difference between compatible library packages and
> compatible development packages.

Then I suppose the proposal needs updating, as it's not obvious which of
the two are meant.

> Compatible libraries make long term sense.

That sounds a bit different to me in the proposal: "Shipping multiple
versions of libraries tends to be problematic due to a potential case
where multiple versions of a library could be linked into one running
process leading to unpredictable results. It also means that security
changes, fixes, etc. They also take more repository space, requiring
more download of package metadata, ..."

>  Compat development packages don't.

See Alan's post.

Cu