Init : someone could comment this ?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Jan 6 15:49:35 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:44:58AM -0500, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2008 5:36 AM, Enrico Scholz
> <enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> > An initsystem which requires depbloat like python or perl is completely
> > unacceptably.
>
> Bash is not depbloat, but bash + awk + grep + any other userspace
> tools shows alot of dep bloat.

bash + awk + grep is very small, not to mention that it is needed by
a lot of other softwares.

> Since python is installed on most
> machines, and almost always putting at least some code in shared
> memory space, asking for Python in particular is not unreasonable.  If

python is not installed in chroot rpm installs (in general) and
also may not be installed on servers.

> Since depbloat should be a non-issue in this case, I think we really

In my opinion it is an issue in some use cases, but should not prevent
from using an init system written in python. In fact I think that the
programming language of an init system is not an issue at all.

--
Pat