hunspell dictionaries, what's "missing"

Caolan McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Wed Jan 9 13:24:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 15:00 +0200, Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:
> Caolan McNamara kirjoitti:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureDictionary now lists the
> > languages for which we ship aspell dictionaries but not hunspell ones.
> > i.e. Breton, Faeroese, Icelandic, Indonesian, Malayalam, Scots Gaelic
> > and Serbian.
> >
> > Packaging those dictionaries will enable OOo to spell-check your
> > language and have the same level of support in
> > OOo/evo/gedit/xchat/tomboy/pidgen/KDE (and hopefully firefox
> > eventually).
>
> This is not strictly hunspell related, but I've been working on getting the
> free Finnish spellchecker and hyphenator Voikko into Fedora, see the thread
> at

Yeah, I saw that. Unfortunately I'm just not qualified to know what
blocks hunspell from supporting Finnish, but I'm surprised that it is
the case given that hunspell was written to handle Hungarian which I
thought was similarly agglunatively complicated as Finnish. :-(

> There is also an OpenOffice extension/plugin(/whatever those are
> called?) for Voikko at
> <http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=156731&package_id=216218>,
> I'm planning on packaging that as well, though it does look a bit
> complicated...

"extension" is the word of the moment FWIW. wrt. the extensions, follow
the scheme at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org for
installing it. And I added the required -sdk packages some time ago to
enable building the voikko extension, so it should be fairly
straightforward to follow the opensuse example for the same package I
think.

I guess if there's a route to getting Finnish supported in everything
then that's fine and doesn't break the spell-checking unification if
everything ends up using the same backend for finnish eventually, just
seems a pity to have to do it separately for OOo/firefox/enchant.

C.