Impending X driver deprecation

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Jan 10 02:16:03 UTC 2008

Adam Jackson wrote:
> I'm grinding through porting the various X drivers to the new server
> APIs, and I'm taking the opportunity to clean house a bit.  Here's what
> I'm planning:

http://www.x.org/wiki/AMDGeodeDriver
Could you help to port the AMD Geode driver to newer API's?  It is a
very common chipset used in thin client hardware (as well as OLPC).

> The ark, chips, s3, and tseng drivers are going away.  These are all
> really boring early PCI chipsets that don't even have a 3d engine.  They
> should be adequately serviced by the vesa driver.  (Note that there are
> three drivers for the various S3 cards: s3, s3virge, and savage.  s3 is
> for the old pre-Virge chips, 968 and Trio and friends.  s3virge and
> savage are not being dropped.)

Please reconsider s3?

It is used by several of the thin client models selling today, and
Intel's "Affordable PC" reference platform that is being sold in large
numbers in the developing world (e.g. China) by companies like Dell.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com