pirut, pup, system-*: policykit integration

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Jan 11 17:06:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 10:55 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> > Wrt to system config tools, one option would be for someone to
> > investigate gnome-system-tools (at least, get it to work and package it
> > for Fedora, for trying it out), which is also using these technologies.
>

> Are you suggesting making the psuedo DE agnostic system-confg tools
> more Gnome reliant?

Many of the system-config tools we ship are DE agnostic only in so far
as the are just plain bad UI and wouldn't be accepted as part of either
DE... most of the tools have been written many years ago, without input
from interface designers, and have seen very little UI love since then.
(I don't mean to be rude here. This is not the fault of the respective
maintainers, whose primary job is not UI programming)

gnome-system-tools uses a frontend-backend split, with dbus interfaces.
So if you feel like it, you should be able to write frontends using
other toolkits.