SELinux removed from desktop cd spin?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Thu Jan 17 06:58:20 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> Andrew Farris wrote:
>>>
>>> SELinux can and very likely will protect computer systems for
>>> terrorist's use just as easily as anyone else, since it is 1) free,
>>> 2) available to the entire known universe; it therefore has nothing
>>> whatsoever to do with US national security in the context of your
>>> 'rhetoric' and poorly argued politics.
>>
>> I was really talking about whether the choice to use torture to
>> improve national security, without considering the other values lost
>> in the decision, was a wise one to make.
>>
>> The parallel was whether or not the choice to *ALWAYS* use selinux to
>> improve computer security, without considering the other values
>> (bloat/performance degradation/user frustration), was not a wise one
>> to make.
>>
>> But sometimes the subtlety of my logic goes over people's heads.
>
> Oh I followed your intention, I just disagree with whether that parallel
> is a fair or even logical one to make about whether selinux is *in* the
> official spins as opposed to *forcing* people to enable it, which is the
> difference between effecting your choice or not.

No, please reread what I said.

It was never about the choice to force people to enable it.

It was about the decision to mandate that *every* official fedora spin
had it enabled by default.

I contend that that there is room for enough official spins, such that
 >0 will have selinux not enabled by default.

The target of the rant was advocating that exactly 0 official fedora
spins have selinux not enabled be default.

-dmc