Rawhide update status

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Fri Jan 18 04:25:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 21:20 -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:06:59 -0600
> Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.com> wrote:
>
> > Updated my F8 system via yum tonight (took bout 3 or so hours, sheww) to
> > rawhide.  The yum updates went well but it's the boot up that is the
> > problem as below..
> >
> > 1 - When running on the kernel-2.6.24-0.155.rc7.git6.fc9, the system
> > boots, but like the 2.6.23.13 kernels in F8, when it gets to X, there
> > are some squibberish lines on top of black and that's it when it gets to
> > gnome.  I can't control the keyboard neither.  When I was in F8 on
> > the .13 kernels, the .9 acted fine, but .13's wouldn't unless there was
> > an xorg.conf file and and then wouldn't even display the proper
> > resolution.  So they are both the same problem one way shape or form.
> > ATI x1300 card and Proview 926 (19" flat panel) monitor.
>
> That sounds somewhat similar to bug 428813.  I'm blaming DRI at the
> moment.

Looks/sounds like same thing.  I chimed in on the bug, so hopefully find
the problem real quick like.

> > 2 - Some of the icons seem to be missing in the echo-icon-theme icons.
> > Instead of the blue circled F there is the gnome foot.  Same thing for
> > File Browser icon, and xchat icon.
>
> Known.

Goood, will wait for a fix.

> > 3 - Also, under the latest gdm, it is very primitive (think I seen
> > discussion on this already).  Also, I couldn't find the
> > Menu/System/Administration/Login Window menu to configure it.  I
> > downloaded to F8 latest gdm for now (haven't tested that yet).
>
> This is a known issue.  gdm needs love.

Good, hope it gets it, cuz dat thang is *ugly* hehe.

Hrm, guess there *might* be one more thing, but this was in F8 and maybe
it's in F9.  I have onboard sound (AC97?) and a SB Audigy pci card.  I
use the SB card for main sound.  So currently usually it's ac97 for
card1 and SB for card0.  Well, pulseaudio detects them that way, but it
keeps putting card1 on top in pulseaudio volume control menu, and making
it default, when it's not.  So I have to move the modules up/down so SB
is 1, detected as that and then it appears and as default.  Otherwise, I
have to manually make it default every time I reboot/login to gnome, so
I can hear sounds, instead of it remembering the setting.  Heh, hope I
explained that right.

Anyway, off to bed, more testing tomorrow and the weekend.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best lil town on Earth!"