SELinux removed from desktop cd spin?

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Fri Jan 18 09:39:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 15:55 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Jan 17, 2008 5:31 AM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Also for internet caffes I believe that Ubuntu with LTS is much viable
> >> option that fedora with it's too short life cycle.
> >
> > And I believe that virtualization will make this comment moot soon enough.
> >
> > -jef
> >

> How?

Probably something like:

All desktops run a hypervisor and domain0, when a customer (student,
whoever) wants to use a machine they get a clone of the latest good
virtual machine instance as domainU.  They have no access to the
hypervisor or domain0.  Any data they want to keep is stored to a flash
drive, central server storage, online Internet storage, etc.  Then when
they are done the VM instance is destroyed and the physical machine is
available for allocation to someone else.

Similar setups are possible without the VM bit, but normally you need to
do a network boot or install which has an initial performance penalty.

I'm sure Jef can clarify further if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Keith.