packaging: new spec filed idea

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Fri Jan 18 17:22:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 17:49 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> Listen, PackageKit displays unuseful icons in his main package
> browsing component.
> Replacing them with appropriate icons from icon theme would be some
> improvement.

Well, FYI, the purpose of that particular column in the UI at the moment
is 'is the package installed'.  The icons used are pretty bad, and the
whole UI is very much up for debate.  I agree with you that there would
be some value in adding the icons.  But the implementation is
non-trivial.  I think the first step would be to get an 'icon' field
added to the package metadata files that yum uses.  However, if the icon
field is the actual .png data, that makes the metadata files much
bigger.  If the icon field is a name or label, then that label has to
match something already on the system.  It wouldn't be useful for
packages that aren't installed yet because the icon data is...in the
package.

So, I agree that it would be better, but it's non-trivial to do.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood
Red Hat, Inc.