long term support release

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 06:12:22 UTC 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 10:59 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> The is a harder question, that none of the requests like yours for a
> Fedora LTS have even thought to ask is this: Where is the business
> interest that will drive an LTS release in the Fedora ecosystem?   So
> far Red Hat isn't the business entity, they charted a course that
> doesn't include a Fedora LTS.  That is Red Hat's call and if you have
> a problem with that, I'm pretty sure Red Hat has some sort of sales
> structure through which you can attempt to convince them to change
> their sales offerings by madly waving money in front of them while you
> talk about what you'd like to see them sell you in terms of services.
>
> But failing that, If you want an LTS in Fedora space, patterned on the
> LTS that Canonical is offering then you need to find a business
> interest willing to support it and make it happen.  If you can find an
> entity who wants to make a serious effort at building a business on a
> Fedora LTS, point me to them and I'll do my best to bring them in to
> the Fedora process so they can get a running start on it.  I challenge
> you to find that entity.
>
> -jef"branes"spaleta

I worked out the numbers for doing that at one time.. and it wasn't
pretty... especially when people want all of Fedora to be supported
for 2 years. The best price I came to was 2x what Red Hat charges for
an RHEL license to cover basic costs.. if a company wanted to actually
stay in business it was a lot more... especially when you would need
to make sure you had at least 200 paying customers. Cutting down the
supported packages basically brought it down to a much smaller segment
than what is in RHEL before you could get what most fedora users would
consider reasonable (say 50/year).

It also makes it hard in that half the customers want the latest stuff
compiled for their older OS and the other half want only backports.

Brrrrraaaaaiiiinnnnnzzzz