long term support release

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Wed Jan 23 17:35:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 10:06:16AM -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:54:43AM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:50:53 -0500
> > Chuck Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU> wrote:
> >
> > > Not really.  You have to wait ~6 months for the newest release to
> > > stabalize before upgrading to it, so that cuts down the maintained
> > > lifetime to only 6 months.
> >
> > This is ridiculous BS that is self serving.  If everybody waited until
> > release+6M to try it out, the "safe" date would become release+12M, and
> > so on.  It's entirely a piss poor attitude and does nothing to better
> > the project.
>
> Shipping software in a stable Fedora release that upstream considers
> alpha-quality and not ready for production use contributes to a
> perception that the stable Fedora release itself isn't stable or ready
> for production.

Please stop confusing people that F8 is unstable. If you have proof
that some software in F8 is badly broken and is alpha version and
stable release of that software is far more stable tell that sample
here. We will tell to maintainer that this should never happen again.
But blame something "because it is alpha" and only because alpha is very
bad.

Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.