Yum, Proxy Cache Safety, Storage Backend

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Thu Jan 24 23:17:36 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

> Getting a bit off the original topic here, but the "other" thing I've
> always wished yum could do is "repeatable" updates.  That is, the
> ability to update one machine, test some things, then update
> another and
>   get only the same set of changes even if some newer packages had
> been
> subsequently added to the repos.

To me, that isn't functionality for the client, it is functionality
for the server / cache.
It is a feature of WSUS - the ability to approve updates and only
allow clients to "see" the approved ones and not any other.

Right now, there isn't a lot of intelligence built into the server
end ( MirrorManager excepted ) of the update process. The
repositories serve static files, that's it. Fedora can't ask any more
from mirrors. If in your environment you want to control how clients
get updated, then it makes sense to me that centralized control from
the server side and keeping the client side "dumb" is better. You
only have to distribute the repo configuration to use the controlled
repo once, instead of distributing specific update lists continually.

That control is one of the reasons why as an admin I am interested in
InstantMirror and this discussion.

Charles Dostale