long term support release

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Jan 25 08:16:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 06:58:16AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Anyway, meanwhile, things in Fedora-land have changed.
>
> What prevents Fedora from launching a "Fedora LTS" as part of Fedora,
> using the Fedora infrastructure, e.g. by simply imply declaring "Fedora
> 7" life time's extended for, say 2 years, when FC9 comes out?
>
> The price would be fairly small. In particular, the infrastructure
> already is in place. All what would have to be implemented would be some
> regulations/conventions concerning "ABI/APIs" and ACLs.

I think that you are partly right, that is the infrastructure is there.
And I also think that there is just no reason not to let interested
people maintain fedora for a longer time. But I also think that
currently such an effort wouldn't be that succesful because there are
still a lot of packages that haven't comaintainers interested in the
long term fedora, especially for former core packages. But things are
changing and maybe with more mixed involvment in former core packages
this would certainly become more likely to be successful.

> However, I recall FESCO (or had it been FAB?) having decided on FC's
> short life-time and to support EPEL. Both decisions have been severe
> mistakes, IMO.

Supporting EPEL is a good idea, but not letting those who want to take
care of long term fedora is in my opinion a mistake. In most cases epel
spec files couuld be used for fedora long term, in my opinion there
would certainly be synergies between the 2 projects.

--
Pat