long term support release

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jan 25 09:28:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 10:06 +0100, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * Ralf Corsepius [25/01/2008 09:51] :
> >
> > Lack of technical resources.
>
> Oh, please.
>
> Hardware is cheap and so is rack space. The bandwidth part of the
> equation is the hardest one to solve and even that can be worked about.
OK, where is it?

Do you have the TBytes to host it, do you have dozens of mirrors, do you
have the bandwidth, do you have the man-power to administrate the
buildsystem?

Have a look at rpmfusion - Despite they are working on it for months,
AFAICT, trying to copy/reuse the fedoraproject.org infrastructure it's
still not up.

> > Right. But ask yourself, isn't the fact Fedora Unity exists evidence of
> > RH/Fedora not having meet the market's demand and having slipped through
> > an opportunity? I say yes.
>
> The market has dozens (if not hundreds) of demands, some of which are at odds
> the others. I don't remember Red Hat or Fedora promising they would address
> each and every one of them (and, in fact, I distinctly remember the opposite)
Right, nevertheless this discussion reappears every couple of months.

> and I suspect that neither do the people asking/demanding that LTS be
> implemented.
?!? They would not ask if they wouldn't want it.

Actually, I assume most people being in real need for a RHL replacement
have quit Fedora long time ago.

Ralf