long term support release

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 12:42:34 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 01:23:37PM -0300, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
>> Now, cross your heart: Would /you/ run a LTS where there was /no/ QA or
>> security team? At most for a month or so, until it is convenient to
>> upgrade would be my answer. Feeling uneasy all the time.
>
> Yes, I would, if I know that I can trust the packagers. I don't care
> about QA and security team (though it is a nice bonus).

You cannot trust packagers without any QA being done.  Period.  Simple mistakes
happen to everyone, more frequently than we'd all like to admit.  In a LTS type
scenario the people are expecting the updates that do come out to not completely
hose the system... 'trusting' the packagers would be a guaranteed way to have
people asking for their money back or ditching the distro entirely the first
time a major incident happened.

All it takes is a broken mkinitrd, and a kernel improperly installed rather than
upgraded.  /byedatathecasualuserwillneverseeagain